Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Review "The Implosion of Aggie Winchester" by Lara Zielin


I have been a fan of author Lara Zielin since I read her book "Donut Days". Actually, truthfully, I first became aware of Lara when someone showed me a link to her hilarious YouTube Snuggie parody, the "Bluggie" (the blinged out Snuggie).






Then I read "Donut Days" and was hooked on Lara Zielin. So when I read her post about her new book, and why it might not be suitable for everyone, I knew it was for me. Immediately I went online and bought it. Here is what Lara had to say about "The Implosion of Aggie Winchester".


Why Aggie Might Piss You Off and Why That’s Okay

One thing that’s great about books like Marly and Me and The Da Vinci Code is that diverse audiences can get behind them. From art appraisers to auto mechanics, from soccer-coaching dads to entrepreneurial college grads, people from all ranks can get sucked into the story.

Like so many people, I love books about dogs! And horses! And good old-fashioned mysteries. But I didn't write that kind of book when I penned Aggie.

I understand The Implosion of Aggie Winchester may not be that kind of book.

For example, Aggie swears. A lot. The F-word is practically a character in the book, so if you’re squeamish about foul language, leave Aggie on the shelf.

Aggie and her boyfriend do stuff. If you’re a fan of teen chastity and plots that don’t involve questions about sex, put Aggie down.

Aggie makes bad choices. If you want a teen with a strong moral center who knows exactly who she is and makes decisions that reflect that, Aggie ain’t her.

Aggie is flawed. She will probably frustrate you. But she’s also realistic. Aggie struggles. She falls. She effs up in the hugest ways, but she gets back up again and keeps going.

Which is, I think, true to how LIFE actually is. For me as an author, that’s part of why Aggie was worth all the heartache that went into creating her. She was difficult from the word go.

But as messed up as she is, she’s still not beyond redemption.

So maybe she might help teens who are struggling with developing a sense of self, or struggling with friends and boyfriends who don’t respect them, or struggling with finding words to express how they feel or act in ways that reflect who they really are.

Aggie isn’t right for every reader. And that’s okay.

Because I believe she’s exactly right for some readers.


So that, my friends is what sold me. I happened to have just finished a book earlier that day, so I got it on Kindle so I could immediately start reading. I finished the book in less than 24 hours. Now you guys know me. I rarely read a book that doesn't fall into the YA Paranormal Romance category. This book doesn't have any witches, vampires, werewolves or fairies in it, yet I devoured it. I simply could not put it down. I fell in love with Aggie. While my youth was not like Aggie's in most ways, her struggle to find herself, along with her mistakes and frustration over being misunderstood by her parents definitely struck a chord with me. I was captivated by her. My heart broke and then swelled for Aggie on her journey. It was heartbreaking and uplifting and left me wanting more.


This is one of these books that stays with you. If you're looking for a captivating read, that won't leaving you hanging as part of an unfinished series, a book you're willing to trade sleep for, or only read a few books a year... read "The Implosion of Aggie Winchester". You won't be disappointed.





Photobucket