Friday, December 17, 2010

The Queen's Thief Series



Book Review "The Queen's Thief" Series by Megan Whalen Turner


I rarely stray from my usual love for YA Paranormal Romance, but I'm so glad I followed the advice of my good friend and book sensei @katarinasmama (of MundieMoms) and read "The Queen's Thief" series by Megan Whalen Turner.


Rather than having werewolves, shifters, fairies or vampires... this book consists of Kings, Queens, advisers, barons and peasants. Set in a world much like Ancient Greece, there are three bordering Kingdoms: Sounis, Eddis and Attolia. Never at complete peace, Eddis is located between Sounis and Attolia and tries to keep the two countries from war. No one country can defeat the other two, but no two are in complete allegiance.

Enter the foreign Medes who try to manipulate their way into gaining a foothold into each of the countries by sewing discord between them, hoping to one day overtake them all. Each country has their own gods and goddesses and mythology, as well as people who believe in them and people who don't.


Gen (the thief) is the lead character. That's pretty much all I want to say about him. You will love him, but I don't want to spoil anything about the twists and turns that occur in this series. I went into the series without reading anything about it, and believe I enjoyed it more as a result.


This book series excels in character development... bringing to life characters you will truly love, hate, or both at the same time. Like a well played chess game, each book brings more to the story and strategy of these three countries, the characters and their fate. I truly hope the author continues the story with a 5th book, but until then I highly recommend these four books.









Photobucket