Friday, December 17, 2010

The Vespertine





A few weeks ago I had the privilege of reading the not-yet-released book "The Vespertine" by Saundra Mitchell.


This book fits in perfectly with my favorite book genre: Young Adult Paranormal Fiction.


Set in 1889 in Victorian Baltimore, Saundra Mitchell brings us back to the customs and roles of men and women during that time. Amelia is the main character, who has been sent by her brother to live with her cousin Zora in Baltimore for the sole purpose of finding a husband. Not just any husband, but one who is well off and higher class. In other words, marrying "up". However love being unpredictable, Amelia feels herself drawn to Nathaniel who is no higher class than she, and without a respectable job. As Amelia and Nathaniel's love grows, she finds that Nathaniel has a big secret that he is reluctant to share.


Living with her cousin Zora and her family, Amelia tries her best to act and dress higher class than how she grew up. One day at sunset, Amelia gets a glimpse of something that has not yet come to pass. When her vision comes true, friends and strangers alike start calling on Amelia to tell their fortunes. As the visions take on a darker tone, her friends start wondering if she is the one causing the events to happen. Amelia's world starts to crumble around her and we wonder if there are any happy endings to be had for Amelia.


I don't usually read a lot of period novels, but this one intrigued me. I found myself reading it during every spare minute I had. My favorite books are those I'm willing to trade sleep for, and I traded several hours of sleep to read "The Vespertine".


The Vespertine has a release date of March 7, 2011 and is available for pre-order.





Photobucket